Welcome to TaT Discussion Forum. Click here to Login

Heads up KIA GIS

Read or Post about anything new in the industry. Post dates to up coming trade shows and events.

Heads up KIA GIS

Postby [email protected] » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:27 am

Kia have just gone from a free access to GIS to $1500/year
[email protected]

Drive Car: RTV
Scan Tools: 4
Scopes: 1

Re: Heads up KIA GIS

Postby [email protected] » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:34 pm

Yup !

As discussed here in recent days, Aussie independent workshop costings & business models will need to be carefully looked at to take into account increased costs for access to OE info & tooling. Either that or exit the game before feeling the pain.
Eddie Worsnop
[email protected]

Drive Car: i20

Postby [email protected] » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:59 am

Yes, it was good while it lasted and the change was bound to happen.
Most TIS providers give the option of pay by day subscriptions and you just tack that cost onto the customers bill.
Kia is only $19.00 for 72 hours access and you charge it out at $25.00 to the customer.
[email protected]

Drive Car: BMW 318i E46
Scan Tools: 20
Scopes: 4

Postby [email protected] » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:27 am

Rod wrote:Yes, it was good while it lasted and the change was bound to happen.
Most TIS providers give the option of pay by day subscriptions and you just tack that cost onto the customers bill.
Kia is only $19.00 for 72 hours access and you charge it out at $25.00 to the customer.

That's what I had been doing for others.
Have budgeted about $4000 for OE subscriptions for the next 12 months on top of what I already pay in AM subs.
[email protected]

Postby [email protected] » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:13 pm

Also noted that on OEMTECH.com, that cost for subscribing to Toyota Australia is about $700/year more than Toyota North US.
It will be interesting to see if/how those two prices change as things progress.
[email protected]

Postby [email protected] » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:07 pm

You are just going to upset yourself if you start comparing our subscription pricing to the other countries.
You can compare almost anything from books all the way through to cars and the same item in the U.S will almost always be cheaper.
Purchasing an OEM scan tool from an Australia supplier (when you can) is much more expensive than to purchase the same tool from a U.S supplier so I imagine that same pattern will continue with the programming and service information.
[email protected]

Postby [email protected] » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:23 pm

Just trying to keep my head around it all.

It is as I suspected it would be, Like you said, we get charged more in the country for almost everything.
I do feel though that it is the OE attempt at helping to prove one of the points they tried to make a while back, Where they said very few workshops will buy the subscriptions. Obvious that will happen when you price yourself far about the average price the rest of the world uses and put it on the market in a country where the target consumer is not used to A) having the product in this form and B) paying that amount for something they don't believe they have ever needed.

The few of us that want the access, will just pay it though.
[email protected]

Postby [email protected] » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:05 am

Hi

I have been following this issue for quite a while.

I came to the decision a couple of years ago to access manufacturers information and pass the cost on. I got tired of going round in circles with Autodata and the likes and still getting incorrect information.

Hyundai and Kia have just been a bit slow on catching on to the costing of the information and as said above it was great while it lasted.

The good thing about doing it this way is the cost is immediately charged out with the job and has no effect on margins like say using Autodata which is not always charged out as a cost.

I only work for the trade and once they are educated on the cost of the information, knowing that it is correct and it will speed up the job, there is no problems with the charge.

Regards

Simon
[email protected]

Postby [email protected] » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:17 am

Brad_m wrote:Obvious that will happen when you price yourself far about the average price the rest of the world uses and put it on the market in a country where the target consumer is not used to A) having the product in this form and B) paying that amount for something they don't believe they have ever needed.

I don't know if I agree that they are consciously trying to structure the pricing to reduce the take up of the access.
I simply think it is an economics thing and is typical Australian over pricing due to the higher costs here.

I cannot see how the manufacturers, who are international, would have a different stance on data access in different countries, that would display a very biased and inconsistent stance on their part.

I think that you may find the first few minutes of this YouTube video of an interview between Drew Tech and a NASTF representatives interesting. NASTF are responsible for mediation and communication between the manufacturers and the aftermarket repairers in the U.S. NASTF have a good relationship with the manufacturers and they explain this relationship and mutual understanding quite well in this interview.

phpBB [video]
[email protected]

Postby [email protected] » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:45 pm

Rod wrote:I don't know if I agree that they are consciously trying to structure the pricing to reduce the take up of the access.
I simply think it is an economics thing and is typical Australian over pricing due to the higher costs here.

Just as this is being fought in other areas such as personal computing software and gaming etc, there is no reason for electronic data to have cost variations anywhere.
There is no justification for a %75 price difference.

I'm about 10mins into the video
[email protected]

Return to Industry News and Events