Welcome to TaT Discussion Forum. Click here to Login

Repco just got bigger...

Read or Post about anything new in the industry. Post dates to up coming trade shows and events.

Repco just got bigger...

Postby [email protected] » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:36 pm

Flicking through some industry headlines recently and came across this ....

https://www.businessnews.com.au/article ... vs-for-45m

Bad news the way I see it. Repco will pretty much have a monopoly on the auto parts industry here in WA.
Their pricing is crap and now they own the opposition I can see this will spell the death of "competition" as we know it (particularly in regional town centre, like where I am) in Western Australia :doubledown:
[email protected]

Drive Car: VW Amarok
Scan Tools: 11
Scopes: 1

Re: Repco just got bigger...

Postby [email protected] » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:59 pm

Yeah, sucks for WA and Covs.
I don't mind using Repco. I get good pricing from them. Complain about your current pricing matrix and keep complaining until you are happy.
If they want your business they will respond with better prices, they did for me.
Repco are less than 1k from my workshop so I like using them, parts arrive within minutes of ordering them.
[email protected]

Drive Car: BMW 318i E46
Scan Tools: 20
Scopes: 4

Postby [email protected] » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:25 am

Rod wrote: Complain about your current pricing matrix and keep complaining until you are happy.
If they want your business they will respond with better prices, they did for me.

Seven managers (that I can think of) in the past fifteen years have told me they will have the pricing matrix adjusted.
One was even a mechanic that left me to go work for Repco as 2IC :dontknow:

Whatever changes they make is very short term and the prices creep straight back up inside no time. I'm a Capricorn member (and have been for eighteen years), but other suppliers welcome this :doubleup:

The latest manager has been there for about two years and she was in here again a couple weeks back asking " why aren't you buying from us?". :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

I swung the pc monitor around and showed her 6-8 different stock items I carry and the pricing from "Covs online" and "Repco Navigator". She conceded that there wasn't a lot she could do except ring up Repco with the Covs price and they will match it :shock:

"Right, ok. So you want me to ring every time I need a part and ask you for a good price?" :happyno:

The only local Repco authorized repairer pulled out of Repco about three months ago, repainted his whole building from Repco corporate colours to a completely different colour scheme.

We'll just have to wait and see :cleanglasses:
[email protected]

Postby [email protected] » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:54 am

Hi Brad,
Do you have Veale in Kal ?
I found Veale very competitive on price & product range when I was operating in Roleystone.

I understand Covs will operate independently for the foreseeable due to the 2 businesses having some very different industry & customer types they serve.
I can however reiterate Rod's best advice to keep on at Repco for a better cut.
Eddie Worsnop
[email protected]

Drive Car: i20

Postby [email protected] » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:30 pm

Eddie wrote:Do you have Veale in Kal ?
I found Veale very competitive on price & product range when I was operating in Roleystone.

Hi Eddie, no we don't. Covs , Repco, Supercheap, Auto one and one independent.
I do order the occasional parts from Veales (I just got a 22R timing cover and gasket set up overnight from them).

[/quote]I understand Covs will operate independently for the foreseeable due to the 2 businesses having some very different industry & customer types they serve.
I can however reiterate Rod's best advice to keep on at Repco for a better cut.[/quote]

I understand this, but still think somewhere down the track pressure will be put on Covs to increase prices in the automotive parts supply from upper management..... I really hope I'm dead wrong :oops:
[email protected]

Postby [email protected] » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:53 pm

I gave up on Repco a few years ago. Bad pricing, bad service, long delivery times.
Our Autopro closed early this year and Burson have burned many many people in this town, myself included.
We now use one of the two remaining indi stores as our main source of parts and the specialty places where we need to.
Burson tried to buy out the Indi place we use. Apparently Burson couldn't come at the number of zero's they wanted on the check.

I guess we are lucky to have the options that we do.
Cooldrive,
Ashdown,
Baxters,
Statewide bearings. and a 3 other specialty bearing places
SIL
Driveline services
Hardy Spicer

It's not often we're left wanting for parts

Although I have just stopped buying from Driveline services after they started advertising as an Approved inspection station and for servicing and repairs.
Sorry, if you try to move in on my part of the industry, I'm not going to support you.
[email protected]

Drive Car: RTV
Scan Tools: 4

Postby [email protected] » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:21 am

I would have to say that the Repco staff are the most unhappy people in the parts industry that I have met.
Over the past 16 years I have seen many managers and staff come and go from our local store but that one thing has always remained consistent. Sad sacks that always appear stressed out and miserable.
The managers always appear to be under so much pressure to satisfy the big boys ridiculous monthly demands, which of course is passed on down the line to the staff members. I would hate to work in an environment like that. Makes me appreciate where I work. My boss is pretty chill. :)
[email protected]

Drive Car: BMW 318i E46
Scan Tools: 20
Scopes: 4

Postby [email protected] » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:22 am

Rod wrote:Makes me appreciate where I work. My boss is pretty chill.

Yup, that sure was one of the things I liked about my last work place in Perth :good2:
Eddie Worsnop
[email protected]

Postby [email protected] » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:08 pm

Eddie wrote:
Rod wrote:Makes me appreciate where I work. My boss is pretty chill.

Yup, that sure was one of the things I liked about my last work place in Perth :good2:

My boss is pretty lax most of the time.
[email protected]

Drive Car: RTV
Scan Tools: 4

Postby [email protected] » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:09 pm

Brad_m wrote:pretty lax most of the time

Some say that's just a QLD thing :laughing:
Eddie Worsnop
[email protected]